The Blues ventured to the other place for their second league match of the season. Playing on the same pitch as our varsity defeat last year, the team were keen to put those memories to bed and build on our momentum from last weeks win against a strong Cardiff side.

Both teams started the game well, each having periods of possession but with no conversion. A power shot from Katie Lehovsky gave Cambridge an early lead however oxf*rd responded almost immediately, scoring twice, both of penalties.

Nerves on both sides started to show, with neither side creating any chances and both ends of the pitch getting lots of action. The light blue defence remained as strong as ever, putting lots of pressure on the oxf*rd attack. Special mention should also go here to MVP goalkeeper Helen Gildersleeves, as she made a noticeable 3 consecutive saves. A great defensive turnover resulted in a savvy crease roll from captain Sophie Tamblyn to equalise the score. After this the game started to get more physical, but Cambridge’s attack stayed strong and held possession although were unable to convert again, despite a couple of shots, so at half time the score was equal at 2-2.

Oxf*rd started the second half well scoring almost immediately. The Cambridge team remained unphased and retaliated very quickly with 2 stylish team goals, scored by Julie Wise and Julia Crerend, in her CUWLC debut. Tiredness was starting to show on both sides, with more fouls beings committed as legs started to flag. Oxf*rd capitalised off this and equalised the score to 4-4.

Cambridge’s composure at this point was excellent, and with some great draw control from Ella Benson, we were able to gain possession at this crucial part of the game. Despite the flag going up for a defensive foul, Lehov powered through and scored her second goal of the day off one of her classic drives. Chances were flying

However, the Oxf*rd goalkeeper valiantly managed to stop 5 or 6 good Cambridge opportunities in a very short period of time, keeping her team in touch. This didn’t dampen the Cambridge attacking spirit who continued to apply pressure in the Oxf*rd half.


Eventually Cambridge were able to find the back of the net again, with Amelia Miller powering the ball into the top corner. Oxf*rds frustration became evident, as discipline lapsed and oxf*rd got a yellow card for a particularly vicious swipe to our goalkeeper’s head. Being man up took some pressure off our attack and for the last few minutes of play, we focussed on holding the ball to see the rest of the game out, which we did successfully keeping the score at 6-4 to Cambridge at full time.

Squad: Wallace (C), Tamblyn (C), Paterson, Dillingham, May, Molloy, Peters, Terelak, Gildersleeves, E Benson, G Benson, Gardiner, Miller, Lehovsky, Isotta, Wise, Flanagan, Crerend